Thursday 10 November 2011

Number 12...

...at 10 locations. Yep, another Great Grey Shrike was the highlight today.
The goal for today was to find Three-toed Woodpecker and to that end I walked 10km through promising spruce forest from Skanskebakken in Sørkedalen to Triungsvann. The misty, damp conditions did not help the birding but the forest were strangely quiet. The bird list in total was a single male Black Grouse flushed from close to the path, 3 Goldcrest, 3 Willow Tits, 2 Nuthatch, a Bullfinch, a jay and a few Great and Blue Tits plus of course the obligatory Great Grey Shrike.
I did glimpse a bird that could have been my target and shortly afterwards a woodpecker could be heard tapping but I failed to relocate the bird - this is now the third time I have possibly glimpsed this, for me at least, mythical species!

No comments:

Post a Comment