Tuesday 27 May 2014

Rosefinches

I had a Rosefinch experience in Maridalen today with at least two birds singing simultaneously including my first red male of the year. The other singing bird that i saw was a brown young bird which was together with another brown bird that didn't sing. These two birds are presumably the same as I saw yesterday when neither sang. Whether they are a pair or perhaps a couple of young bachelors I don't know but the red male seemed unpaired so it would be strange if the brown male had succeeded in beating him to attract a mate.

I also visited one of Oslo and Akershus's few Peregrine nesting sites. In a short visit I did not actually see the species but did here it calling unseen from the cliff face.
red (adult) male Common Rosefinch (rosenfink)

brown (young) male Common Rosefinch

No comments:

Post a Comment