Saturday 13 December 2014

Long-tailed Tits

Long-tailed Tits (stjertmeis) seem to be unusually common this autumn/winter. This is a species that breeds in very low densities in these parts but also seems to be an invasive visitor although I guess it could also just be that after very good breeding seasons there are suddenly many birds. I remember that it took me a couple of years after I moved to Norway in 2001 to see my first birds. Although I knew the species well from the UK (and had even written a short note in British Birds as a spotty teenager when I found that one of the birds from the 3-4 pairs on my local patch had managed to sew its own tail into the intricate nest they build and needed me to free it) I was very keen to see the white-headed scandinavian subspecies. And it is always a joy to see this beautiful bird although meetings with them are often very brief.

This autumn I have seen flocks in Maridalen, Østensjøvannet, Bygdøy, yesterday in The Botanical Gardens and today in the garden (for only the third time ever) there was a flock of 5 birds. There have also been a couple of records close to Oslo of birds with dark stripes on the head suggesting an origin outside of scandinavia.

I managed some pictures of the flock of 9 birds yesterday that I had in the Botanical Gardens but they are nothing that I will be wrintg home about even though I am willing writing to the world about them :-)

this is typical for most of the pictures -  a ghost like creature, out of focus and at the edge of the picture

sometimes though the bird did stay in the same spot long enough

but then they would just come too close

or even closer

No comments:

Post a Comment