Sunday 10 April 2016

Divers back in Oslo

I seem to have lots to write about at the moment J and the really interesting posts about hybrid harriers and Steller’s Eiders are quickly pushed down the page by run of the mill reports from Maridalen and camera reviews.

I was out again early this morning in Maridalen and met up with Halvard H who is equally hooked on the Dale as I am (and has one distinct advantage in that he can view the lake with his ‘scope from his living room).

Little and high cloud meant that there were few birds to be seen today although I did have two new species for Oslo this year. A Red-throated Diver flew a circuit of the lake and didn’t find the ice to its liking and headed back off to the south and the fjord whereas a Black-throated Diver found that there was just enough open water where the river enters at Hammeren. This is a slightly early first arrival date but in most years they come before the middle of April.

A pair of Cranes were feeding on a field and after I had five feeding together yesterday it suddenly seems that one expects to find Cranes on the deck in Maridalen (this is a sudden change in affairs as last year was the first time I saw one on the deck here).

In better light I also got to test the camera more and had a very good challenge in the form of a close and fast moving Long-tailed Tit which I managed some perfectly acceptable pictures of.

 
I also had my first Wren of the year in Maridalen which is a sign that this species suffered this winter.
the first Black-throated Diver (storlom) of the year in Maridalen. This picture was taken in very difficult light conditions at some range but I think the result is better than I would have managed with the bazooka



Chiffchaff (gransanger) in a sallow

these 5 Cranes (trane) were on the deck yesterday

and I had this pair today

Crossbills (grankorsnebb) are still licking bricks

a juvenile Common Crossbill (grankorsnebb) - this species breeds in the middle of the winter if there are enough cones

I was quite happy with this picture I managed of Long-tailed Tit (stjertmeis). I think that the camera has promise

in the bright sunlight this bird got burnt out and I wasn't able to react quickly enough to adjust before the bird moved. One of the advantages of this camera is that the Electronic View Finder shows you the actual exposure making it easier to know when it needs adjusting

a few Twite (bergirisk) have arrived

a tree top singing Wren (gjerdesmett) which surprisingly was my first record in Maridalen his year

male Yellowhammer (gulspurv)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment