Tuesday 12 April 2016

Twite in the sun

The weather today was gorgeous and I was down to a t-shirt before noon. But days with blue skies are generally speaking poor for birds and today was no exception. I stuck to Maridalen where I hoped some raptor migration might save the day but the only I raptors I had (Sparrowhawk, Goshawk and Buzzard) were local birds.

Of course if you use long enough time then you do see something. I had two patch year ticks in the form of Linnet and a very rare Collared Dove (only my second record on the patch). A flock of 150 Pink-footed Geese headed north and a Crane had joined a flock of 15 Greylags also heading north.


There were still two pairs
 if Black-throated Divers on the lake and they even sang a bit. Another bird flew over calling.

The good light did bring out the best in the new camera and close brick licking Common Crossbills and a Twite resulted in some pictures and (hand-held) video that I am happy with. I also witnessed a pair of Long-tailed Tits collecting feathers from the remains of a dead (presumably at the talons of a Goshawk) Wood Pigeon which they then flew off with to their nest (which I didn’t manage to locate as the birds flew surprisingly far).

Twite (bergirisk)








there was also a male Linnet (tornirisk) which is a scarce visitor to Maridalen each year in April



one of a pair of Long-tailed Tits (stjertmeis) that were collecting feathers from the remains of a Wood Pigeon







only my second ever Collared Dove (tyrkerdue) in Maridalen

looking over Nesbukta in Maridalen which is still frozen except for a small open area where the river runs in
Two male Crossbills (grankorsnebb). I will have a separate post with video of them brick licking

No comments:

Post a Comment